Search Posts

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

HITCHCOCK HAT-TRICK

Today, I took delivery of the these three discs from an online DVD rental company. Being a massive Alfred Hitchcock fan I thought it was high time I re-visited his signature collection released by Universal in 2003. I already own a number of the films included in this set but had never gotten round to watching THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1955), TORN CURTAIN (1966) and TOPAZ (1969).

I am particularly looking forward to watching THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, as the ‘Master of Suspense’ was known to have a particularly wicked sense of humour. By all accounts this film, whilst a minor work, is said to be a rather atypical but not unwelcome venture for the great British director.

I’ll be posting my thoughts as soon as I get the time to give the discs a spin.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I really liked The Trouble with Harry, personally. It's true, it's a very minor film in the grand scheme of all things Hitchcock, but it really is devilishly funny.

Have you seen Frenzy? It gets a bad rap in some circles, but I've seen it twice now and been very impressed by it each time: a mean, down and dirty thriller with distinct giallo-like undertones. The protagonist, Richard Blany, is very much cut from the Argento "male paranoiac" mould.

Count Fosco said...

Hey Whiggles,

Glad to hear you though THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY was a welcome addition to the Hitchcock canon. I'm hoping to post a review in the near future.

I first saw FRENZY years ago on late night television and it left me completely astounded. The look and mood of the piece was really seedy and raw... right up my then teenage salicious tastes!

I don't actually think I realised it was a Hitchcock film until I saw it again a few years later after rented out from the library. In retrospect you it is a very a-typical piece from Hitchcock in terms of the aesthtic look and tone of the film.

You are spot-on when you say FRENZY is very suggestive of the gialli sensibility.

For me, going against dominant opinion, it is precisely this cynical, malice laden milieu with its element of sleeze that makes FRENZY a Hitchcock original and very effective piece of work.

I bought the Universal signature collection release of this film last year. Hirtherto I had to make do with a repeat shoing taped of the BBC. I am tempted to give the disc a spin with your comparison of the male lead, Richard Blany, to Argento's "male paranoiac" in mind. Thanks.

By the way Michael I meant to leave a comment or two for you to congratulate you on your on the new version of your website. I think it is superb and I'll certainly be visiting on a regular basis. Keep up the good work!