Search Posts

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

HAMMER TIME!


Recently, I drifted into reverie regarding the horror films I used to watch as a youngster on late night TV and on old beaten up VHS. A particularly striking period of this nostagia trip focused on the much celebrated black and white horror pictures of Universal Studios in the 1930s. However, my thoughts then turned away from the black and white images of Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff fickering across my mind's eye. As off over the horizon a garish blur of colour slowly came into view and then it hit me, bright smack in the face... Hammer Film Productions!

I was amazed, I had totally overlooked the exploits of my own nation and the imporant part it played in my formative introduction to the world of horror. "Hammer Horror" was all the rage in the 50s and 60s infusing classic horror texts with new vitality via sumptous color schemes and heaving bossoms. And trust me this seductive hyper-stylized re-imaginging of the familiar monster vehicles was not lost on me as a child. I was transfixed with both fear and facination upon first seeing these films and grew to revel in their almost camp jovality.

Thus, I thought it was high time I revisited those old classic British horror movies that helped to turn me on to the whole genre in my youth. Looking through the (limited) available discs at my preferred online DVD rental site, I've added the following to my delivery list: The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, The Devil Rides Out, The Nanny and The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

I must admit I've yet to see quite of few of these films as my exposure to classic British horror of yesteryear has mainly centred on the numerous Frankenstein and Dracula cycles. Unfortunately, many of my other fondly remembered titles such as The Quatermass Xperiment and Twins of Evil are either "low demand" meaning not available to rent or missing from the listings altogether.

Judging by availability and demand I should be getting The Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula, Prince of Darkness in the next batch of 3 DVDs to be delivered. Nonsensically, I've also thrown in Brian De Palma's Dressed To Kill on a whim, to make up this Anglo/American horror trio. I used to love the movie and all things De Palma whilst at college and haven't seen it in years

If anyone else out there can point me in the right direction for more "Hammer Horror" titles on DVD I should check out please leave a comment.

No comments: