Search Posts

Thursday, March 08, 2007

50 GREATEST TV DRAMA

Aired on Channel 4 recently, I sat down and watched the show this afternoon.

For my part I am pleased to see The Sopranos get the industry recognition it deserves and look at Twin Peaks riding high at 9th. I think Shooting the Past should have been much higher but then again I am a massive Poliakoff fan. Good to see Sex Traffic and other contemporary drama such as 24 and Band of Brothers being picked out for praise. No surprises that pieces like This Life, Queer As Folk and the 'Dennis Potter' canon were all present. However, there were also some really got nods to less fashionable pieces such as Heimat, Talking to a Stranger and Threads. I'll definitely be looking into getting my hands on these to watch for the first time.

The final line-up:

1. The Sopranos
2. Boys From The Blackstuff
3. Edge Of Darkness
4. The Singing Detective
5. Cathy Come Home
6. The West Wing
7. Cracker
8. Our Friends In The North
9. Twin Peaks
10. Heimat
11. Prime Suspect
12. Pennies From Heaven
13. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
14. I Claudius
15. Das Boot
16. A Very British Coup
17. This Life
18. Abigail's Party
19. Hill Street Blues
20. Queer As Folk
21. Sex Traffic
22. Bleak House (2005)
23. House Of Cards
24. Shameless
25. Talking To A Stranger
26. Doctor Who
27. 24
28. Scum
29. Brideshead Revisited
30. Traffik
31. Blue Remembered Hills
32. Warriors
33. The Naked Civil Servant
34. Bloody Sunday
35. Auf Wiedersehen Pet
36. Talking Heads
37. Hillsborough
38. The Prisoner
39. Shooting The Past
40. Pride And Prejudice (1995)
41. GBH
42. Made In Britain
43. The Jewel In The Crown
44. Threads
45. Z Cars
46. Caught On A Train
47. Upstairs Downstairs
48. State Of Play
49. Roots
50. Band Of Brothers

Also if anyone else caught the show, do you know what song was used for the intros and then played again throughout the show? The almost haunting if indecipherable lyrics sound familiar but I can't seem to place the piece of music or remember the band.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I caught some of it but didn't watch it all. I thought the combination of one-offs and continuing serials was a little strange, as were some of the titles labelled as dramas. For instance, Doctor Who clearly has dramatic elements, but I would have pegged it first and foremost as sci-fi. It's certainly an interesting list all the same, though. I want to say I disagree with it completely, but then I wouldn't know how to even begin to put one together myself.